With Thanksgiving upon us, it’s important to stop and thank the people who make it all possible—truck drivers.
Without the 3.5 million truckers in America, this holiday would not be possible. In order to give thanks where it is due, SmartDrive compiled a list of the top five reasons we should be thankful for truck drivers:
- Turkey transport—They transport 71.4% of the nation’s freight by weight (yes, this includes the 46 million turkeys eaten on Thanksgiving and the $1 trillion in presents purchased for Christmas). With such valuable cargo, it is important for truck drivers to take precautionary measures to ensure nothing is stolen or broken. With video-based technology, like SmartDrive, drivers and managers can ensure precious cargo remains safe and intact.
- Road safety—Truck drivers keep roads safe. With 55 million people traveling by car or plane during the holiday, safety on the road is of utmost importance. With safety-based programs, fleets can monitor and correct driving habits on the road to ensure their drivers, and others on the road, remain safe.
- Ability to fuel up—Without them transporting gas and oil, holiday travel would not be possible.
- They keep us healthy—Truck drivers also transport key medical devices and much-needed supplies. In fact, according to the American Trucking Associations, without truck drivers, hospitals would run out of key supplies like syringes in the first two to three days. With ER visits spiking 5-12% during the holidays, this is particularly important.
- Their holiday meals are spent with a steering wheel, so our holiday essentials are in stock—With the high volume of purchases during the holidays, truck drivers repeatedly sacrifice valuable family time to make sure everything gets where it is supposed to go on time.